Saturday, January 06, 2007

Peaceful Silence and Talk of War

That fall was a happy one for Henrietta. One night, early in November, both Nurse Thale and Doctor Pershing were sent for and by morning Nurse Thale was sent back to invite the Earl."She is really a lovely baby, Frederick," he said. "Give my compliments to Henrietta."
"I will," said Frederick happily. "Athough I'm afraid she has inherited my hair. Henny teased me about that when she saw it. She says I've ruined all her prospects."
"Some gentlemen like red hair, you know," said the Earl.
"I know," agreed Frederick. "That's what I told Henny."
"How is she?"

"Fine. She's sleeping."
"Ah." There was a brief and remarkably peaceful silence. The little girl seemed to fill it all by herself.

What do you mean to name her?" asked the Earl."Alexandra," said Frederick, looking rather abashed. "That is, we were wondering if you would be godfather."
"I'm honored, Fredrick," said the Earl.
He really was, too. Frederick was such a good man that he wondered how he was supposed to spiritually improve his daughter.There was another peaceful silence, and they could hear the sounds of chickens from the yard and pots and pans from the kitchen.
Then suddenly Frederick said, "Could I ask you something, my lord?"
"Anything," said the Earl. He was tired of correcting Frederick about the title. He had even become used to being refered to as the Earl and dropped Lord Damier entirely.
"Will there be war?"
"There already is war, Frederick."
"I know, but real war."
"Hardly anybody goes to France nowadays." pointed out the Earl.
"And there's Egypt, too..."
"I know, but..."
"Yes. Real war. Very soon, I think. That treaty was doomed before it was ever signed." He hadn't joined a session of parliment in a while, but he knew that much.Frederick was looking at his daughter again.
"How long, do you suppose?"
"It depends on how long it takes Napolean to put down the Antilles. A year, if that."
Frederick looked down at his daughter in a new way. Then he settled awkwardly against the crook of his arm and said, "I've been offered a position as a vice-admiral."

6 comments:

Sydonie said...

Site back up! Unfortunately, the comments for this post have dissapeared. But no matter-there should be another post soon.

lothere said...

That's OK. But I reiterate: don't let anything happen to that Frederick!

Mao said...

Oooh, do I smell the sweet scent of fresh and clean layout? Nice. I'm with Lothere... don't hurt Frederick! :(

Sydonie said...

I'm glad you like it. I'm hopping to add a picture bar somewhere, but Blogger isn't cooperating so far. Oh, well.
As for Frederick, I can't tell my plot early, though he and I are both touched you've grown so atatched.:-)

Sydonie said...

Thanks Kara! It's awsome to have you reading, and impressive you caught up that fast.
Also, everyone, post tonight. The semester just ended, which means I can go home and sim--I mean, study for final, of course. *cough*

Sydonie said...

My computer has made a liar of me again by needing to refragment. Gah! Tommorrow! Promise!