Friday, October 27, 2006

Lord Charles' New Freind















"What a grand house!" Henrietta exclaimed.
"Hartfestol is a lovely place." Sir Fredrick agreed as they were led into the sitting room. "But Henrietta," he said, making sure Drake had already left the room to go get the Earl. "Don't make any of your usual comments about how well the draperies looks, or any such thing."
"Why not?" asked Henrietta.














"Well, I don't think the decorations are the Earl's doing so much as they were his wife's, darling."
"Oh--I wouldn't say such a thing anyway!"
"No, of course not--good morning, Damier!" He exclaimed. It was the closest he could get to not calling Lord Damier "my Lord."














"Henrietta, may I present the Earl of Cennanchester?"














Henritta realized that she ought to get up and courtsey, but somehow the Earl was in front of her even before she could begin to stand.














"And what exactly is a man like you doing with a fine lady like this, Frederick?" asked the Earl.
"I've asked myself the same question several times." her husband murmered.
The Earl laughed and sat down. "Pleased to make your aquaintance, Lady Arnold."
Lady Arnold, who was startled to find herself adressed by that title, could only keep smiling.
She was not quite used to talking to Earls. Her father was a gentleman, but a humble one from the coast. She didn't know it, but that was what had attracted Frederick to her in the first place, for Frederick was himself was a modest person from a relatively humble background.
Suddenly the Earl was talking to her again.
"I think I hear a little vandal coming our way," he was saying. "Lady Arnold, I was thinking that being new to Cennanceaster, you might be in need of a freind, so I brought one for you. Nurse Thale!" He called out into the front hall. "Would you bring in Lord Charles? He has a visitor."
And then a nurse came in carrying what could only be The Earl's son. Henrietta had forgotten he had one by his late wife, but in fact now she remembered Frederick had mentioned it when he had told her about their new home.














"Allow me to introduce my son, Lady Arnold." said the Earl. "And now, if you would excuse your us for a moment. your husband and I must go sign a deed. Perhaps Charles can keep you company?"
"Oh, I'm sure I could find no better!" said Henrietta.















In fact, Henrietta was the youngest in her family, younger than four brothers, and she was not used to conversing with small children.














But Lord Charles, who had already escaped his nurse's arms, was not feeling shy at all. After he was detained from investigating the pianoforte, he toddled back to her and gave her a shy grin before crying, "Heh-lo!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too cute! Little Charles is adorable! I love this time period you're writing about, it's so elegant and proper! I just ran across your blog, and I've fallen in love! Mind if I add you to my links list? =D

Sydonie said...

Thanks, and no, not at all!