Sunday, December 31, 2006

Aunt Wilcox's Gossip















"Have you heard?" crowed Mrs. Wilcox to her nephew-in-law. She'd just returned from taking Matty on a walk one early fall afternoon. "The music-master of the school is leaving!"
"Is he," sighed Zachary from the table where he was counting up the offerings.















"Yes. Such a handsome young man. It is a pity. I thought for sure he would find a pretty girl here and settle down. But he is going off to Scotland again. Can you imagine?"















His wife's Aunt did not approve of foreign places at at all.
"Why don't you go tell Maria?" suggested Father Bede, nodding towards their bedroom. "I'm sure she'd like some company. She's feeling a bit under the weather today."















"Oh, I already told her. This morning," said Mrs. Wilcox.
"Ah. Well, forgive me, but you see I have rather busy with some important buisness now, so maybe you will go talk to her anyway and let me finish it."















"What a silly father you have, Matty," cooed his great Aunt. "He doesn't think gossip is important at all. He doesn't see any signifigance in that boy's leaving!"















Laughing, she set off to her niece's room, where she hoped to find a better audience.

4 comments:

lothere said...

Ooooh, ouch! I didn't think she suspected anything until the last bit. What's she going to do now? Go rub it in? Kick her, Matty!

Sydonie said...

Lol! I think she only wanted to rub it in Zachary's face, not that he noticed. But maybe Matty should kick her for that, too.

Mao said...

Ooooh... nasty gossiping old woman! Now I can't help but wonder how this will turn out.

Verity said...

Somehow I don't think she will get a better audience... what a horrible old woman. There has to be one in every little town though =).