Friday, November 24, 2006

The Churching















Grace had long ago learned how to wake up without moving and without opening her eyes. She would pretend to be asleep and cherish a few precious moments in bed, warm and alone. Harold had woken up an hour or two ago, probably. His side of the bed was alredy cold.
She cherished these last few moments in particular, however, for she knew that today was the last day for a while that she could wake up so late. After her churching she would be expected to get up as early as before.
After a moment she decided to make the best of her churching, too. She would cherish every moment. Then, sleepy-eyed and reluctant, she rolled up and opened her eyes.














She joined her husband and son at the breakfast table. It was very quiet, as usual. Then suddenly Harry asked, "Did mama have another baby?"














"Another?" asked Grace, bewildered. "Isn't Percival enough babies for a few months?"














"Yes," her son admitted readily. I was just wondering why we're going to church today. We went to church when Percy was born, see..."
"You and I did, and Britany, but your mother didn't. Don't you remember?" His father said. "So your mother goes now."
"Why?" Harry inquired.
His father nodded sagely. "Because that's what Father Bede and the Bible tell her to do."














Grace said nothing, but she thought, No, Because I want to! And God...
And standing in Front of Father Zachary an hour later, she still could not help but feel that it was her ritual. Her chuching. All her women freinds were there, from Maria Bede to Lady Arnold, and though her husband and Father Bede were there, she thought perhaps they didn't really understand what they were there for.














"O almighty God, which hast delivered this woman thy servant from the great pain and peril of childbirth: Grant, we beseech thee (most merciful father), that she through thy help... "
What did they know about the pain of childbirth? she thought. It was an evil, bitter thought, she knew, and at first she tried to bury it, but at last she just kept it contained in her slight smile.














"Amen."
She smiled and turned to take from Maria's hands the little lacy cap that Percival had first worn. It was then, as she placed it on the alter, that she was truly thankful--so many women offered up caps of babies that had never opened their eyes to wear them.
Then it was over, and she went to greet the many women who had not seen her for months before her confinement.
"It's nice to see you again, Mrs. Pershing," Lady Arnold offered.














"And you." said Grace. There was a silence and then Lady Arnold said, "He's a beautiful baby."
"Thank you."
"I've never seen a boy who looked more like his father at 40 days old."














"They all do," sighed Grace. "My son asked me how come my belly grows so huge if the babies come out looking like Father." They both giggled a little at that.














Grace realized Harry was asking a lot of questions about babies lately, and perhaps her husband had better give him a little lecture soon.
At present, her husband was up near the alter talking to Father Bede.
"I've unwrapped this little man so you might give him and extra blessing, Father."














Her husband always argued about this with Father Zachary when one of his children was churched. Father Zachary said baptism was enough for any child and an extra splash of holy water was a supstitious vanity. But Harold was quite persistant about the blessing, which was a family ritual, and so Father Zachary always gave in, though never before a stern lecture on the evils of superfluous ritual. This time, though, before he could begin his lecture, Maria Bede came over and took young Percival.
"Come, dear. I'll hold this little plumcake for you. There's no harm in a little extra blessing."
And with a quick wink at Grace, she lead her husband, now smiling at his wife's sudden and rare affection, over to the baptismal font.

9 comments:

Verity said...

Awww cute baby =). It was interesting to see a bit of Father Zachary's view on his wife. I guess things aren't going so well between them.

lothere said...

This was such a sweet chapter, Sydonie. And what a wonderful contrast between the world of women and the world of men! The ladies all seem to be on the same team. I find it really hard to believe that you are "only Iylaine's age" to have captured so eloquently Grace's feelings about motherhood.

What else? I love the look on Harry's face at the breakfast table. :-D

And I was thinking that Father Bede was a rather stern-looking dude, but that last sentence at the end was an eye-opener. A very effective ending.

Sydonie said...

Thanks! The battle of the sexes dynamic gets stronger in small towns, which is, I think, why it's so strong in Cennanceaster. Also the marriages are not all happy...
I began to fear I wasn't doing Father Bede justice, focusing so much on his wife. I mean to write a chapter from his point of view at some point.
That picture of Harry is one of my favorites. I had to work it into the storyline, but it was worth it. Usually working stuff into the story fleshes out the story for me, which is nice.

lothere said...

That's one of the reasons why I've been trying to take the pictures before I write the chapters lately. The unexpected stuff you can slip in--especially from the kids, I find--adds a lot of depth. Sometimes it really makes the chapter. Leia's running around and her "inside, outside, backside" commentary wouldn't have happened if I had written the chapter first.

Sydonie said...

I agree completely--the unintentional stuff is the best. Usually what I do is I get an idea, and then, believe it or not, I block it out-I decide where the characters are standing on each line-but that's because I'm so involved in theater right now. Then I start taking pictures, and if there are interesting shots that happen I take them and work them in. The result is generally a bizare amalgam of the completely spontaneous and the painstakingly planned. For instance, I had the very specific idea of the picture in which Grace sits up in her bed, but when I started taking pictures the super close-up of her face caught my fancy because I've fallen in love with my new skintones. The coversation at the breakfast table and the extra blessing of the baby were both to work in things. First of all I wanted to show Father Bede and second of all I felt I had to show the baby(he's cute!), but back then babies wore robes and such if they went out and so I needed an excuse for him not to be.

lothere said...

Clever way to work the half-naked baby into the story!! It kills me that we can't dress babies in this game. There are some pajama skins out there for babies, but they are the onesie type and not at all medieval looking. I suppose I should be happy that the default clothing for babies is just a diaper.

I like that set of skintones too, though I find the one on Grace in particular to be rather florid for a default replacement. I think it's the one I'm using on Lili and Kiv, and they both got it through the magic of Sim genetics. They're both impetuous, fiery people, though, so that's OK with me.

I love that picture of Grace sleeping & I saw it a lot recently as I checked for updates on your site, but I have to tell you--the first time I saw it, I thought she was dead. :-o

If you're involved with theater, it makes me wonder whether you have considered using Gunmod's radiance lighting mod? I found that the realism of my pictures went way up when I started using it, though it took me a while to get sufficient lighting provided to make the scenes visible. (Not having been involved in theater!) Now I move lights around, getting interesting effects with firelight from below, and generally having a ball, though probably while breaking every rule in the cinema/theater-lighting book.

Sydonie said...

You thought she was dead? Oh dear.
The default replacement skins are a little over the top. Here's a secret-I'm putting Lyran's make-up on half the men so that they won't look like they're wearing makeup. (Oh, the irony).
I probably should try working with Gunmod's kighting mod. I've been shying away from cheats and downloads, without any real reason, but I think I should start using them. Actually, I haven't even used move_Objects yet because when I tried it and it didn't work. Do you have any idea why that happens? Am I doing something wrong?

lothere said...

I could not Sim without the radiance lighting mod, especially for pre-electric-lighting stories. But it has some quirks, especially in that the game handles lighting on floors & walls differently from the way it does objects, so if you have a dark room with only a candle on the wall, the wall will be nearly black, but if there is a door nearby, the door will be brilliantly lit. This is especially bad with the dark wood walls I often use. But on the other hand it causes the Sims to stand out against the dark background, so for close-ups it's great.

I don't know why move objects wouldn't work! You are using "move_objects on" and not "move_objects true"? The latter might work, too, but the former is what I use in my game.

I don't overdo it on the mods either, just because of bugs and incompatibility risks, but there are a few I can't live without. I mean Sim without.

Sydonie said...

The stuff about the lighting mod is good to know. I think I might have been typing in move_objects wrong, so I'll try it when I get to sim again. (Hopefully in the next day or two. This weekend I was swamped eith homeworkand family stuff, unfortunately.)
Thanks for the help!