Wednesday, November 08, 2006

The Summons















Maria Bede, nee Wilcox, often made a study of the parishioners during her husband's sermons. This sermon, a smaller, simpler one in the middle of Holy Week, was no different. She sat in the front pew and tried to guess what each person was thinking. It was rarely about heaven or hell, nor was it likely to be about the Bible.
She could usually imagine Grace's thoughts, which so often had to do with the doctor. She was similarly certain that the doctor's thoughts were on his fees, which he was ever intent upon raising. The Earl's pew was empty, for he had gone up to London shortly after Palm Sunday, and Maria sincerely doubted he had given anything up for Lent.
The remaining pew of the first four (these Maria could see if she bent her head and turned her eyes a little) was her Aunt's old pew; now it was shared with Sir and Lady Arnold, for her Aunt had no children, and had agreed they might have it after her.














Maria was never quite certain about the Arnolds. Sir Arnold always seemed intent upon the words of the Vicar, although he never seemed to change his expression, and so Maria thought that though he might be an extremely agreable man, he was clearly not a deep thinker. But his wife, sitting quitely next to him, was more of a mystery. She had always seemed quiet and pleasant, and perhaps a little more sensible of Zachary's sermon. But the past two weeks she had come to church not only quiet but somewhat subdued, had declined to come to Grace's house afterwards, and had--quietly--answered that her health was fine, thank you, to Doctor Pershing's inquiries. Now she seemed intent on her prayers, and oblivious to Zachary's speech.














The sermon ended, and Maria rose to play the final hymn. A last hymn was a tradition among their congregation, and it one of Maria's favorite duties to pick choose one each week-the less common, the better. Surely God was bored by the same fare each week, she reasoned. She certainly tired of it.














Will you come and follow me, If I but call your name?
Will you go where you don’t know, And never be the same?
Will you let my love be shown, Will you let my name be known.
Will you let my life be grown, In you and you in me?
The song was perhaps a little difficult, she thought, for though she had sung the first verse for them, the congregation stumbled from then on, except for one steady baritone somewhere behind her and to her left. Still, by the time they reached the final line, everyone was together.
...Thus I’ll move and live and grow, In you and you in me.














Maria was shutting the lid of the organ when quite suddenly James Menzies, the musicmaster of the parish school, aproached her.
"I simply wanted to ask you, Mrs. Pershing, how you know "The Summons"...?"














"I'm sorry?"
"The song you just played. It's one of my favorite Hymns--a Scottish one. But I have never heard it anywhere but my home town. Not even in Edinburgh when I went to study."
"Oh--I, I've always been fond of music, and my freinds often bring me new songs when they find some. This one's from a book my uncle game me once..."
"I'm quite impressed," he said, and he evidently was.














Suddenly, Maria was struck by an idea. She debated it for only a split second, but during this time she smiled and so he smiled back and turned away.














Before Maria could quite muster the courage to ask him what she wished to, he had left her, somewhat warmer, standing alone again at the back of the church.

8 comments:

Sydonie said...

Anyone out there? My sims are, I know, a bit slow in developing, but right now they seem to be quite alone. ;-)

Mao said...

Hey, Sydonie. I was just randomly browsing blogs while I leisurely wait for my carpool folk... and I found yours from a link on Jen's comments. I don't have a chance to get caught up completely right now, but I definitely will.

I love this time period... and I love seeing all the stuff people download to go with it. So hopefully I can get caught up and leave a more, uh... fitting comment!

And character development? Heck yes! People ignore that far too much in Sims 2 stories...

Sydonie said...

Ahh, thanks. You seem to do a thorough job of it, too--I was looking at your notes about your knock-it-down characters the other day.

lothere said...

Hi! I'm out there and reading. The last time I tried to comment the form timed out. What did I say? Something about how you are slowly teasing out bits of the characters' personalities, which does leave me wanting more. Some of them are still mysterious to me... Grace's haste to get out of her house and then her subsequent awkwardness, and now Henrietta being strangely subdued... And what's that Maria thinking, and why is she feeling warmer in the presence of the music master? And who is that mysterious cowboy in black jeans sitting behind Henrietta in the church? :-D

I like how you show these people who live together and spend so much time together and yet seem not to know one another very well. There is a lot of loneliness here.

Also I love the little details like Henrietta frowning at her husband for putting his cup down on the bare table. :-D

I have to say I was surprised to learn you were only "Iylaine's age". Your writing seems to be on a level beyond that.

Sydonie said...

Oh dear! He really does look like a cowboy, now that I take a second look at him. I created him to be a servant/tenant farmer, but he sat down behind them during the church scene and I neglected to take him out.
Thanks for the compliment. I definately develop characters much more than I develop plot(a good and a bad thing) and both are developing more slowly than I'd like right now because, as you noticed, I'm only Iylaine's age, and so I have to go to school and do homework and that leaves less time for this, which I enjoy much more.
Even so, hopefully as I post more you'll see the characters' personalities become more defined. I definately think you're right about the loneliness--there's alot of it, probably at least partially because of the social rules and the marriages of convenience.

Unknown said...

Great update!! What a cute little church you have there! And I just loved the way Maria was trying to guess what each person was thinking! Very interesting read! I wonder what she wanted to ask him!!

Verity said...

Hi Sydonie... just found your blog and you've definitely caught my interest. I also think the era you chose is great. I haven't really read any blogs with this time period yet so it is going to be cool. Can't wait to find out more... especially about Maria and the music master (whose pants are hilarious by the way... reminds me of the wedding scene in Pride and Prejudice when poor Mr Darcy has been poured into his pants =).

Sydonie said...

Aren't his pants funny? :-)