Monday, November 20, 2006

Ununderstood Smiles

That Wednesday, a chilly one in late October, Maria managed to slip out of the house in time to meet James Menzies after his class ended. She did her best to come at least twice a month, but it was hard, especialy with her Aunt in their house now. That day both her aunt and her son took a nap after luncheon, and so she had managed it.
"Another piece in E minor?"














"I know, I'm too fond of the key..."














He laughed. "I'll take a look. Here's the one you gave me last week."
"What did you think about it?"
"I think it needs a third verse that's slower."













"Why?"
He frowned a little, thinking of how to explain. He was always joking that teaching her made him realize how much he had forgotten since he left school. After a moment he said, "To make it beautiful. It's the little unexpected things that make the song beautiful. That's what makes life beautiful, right?" He said it a little sheepishly, and that made her sheepish, too.













She looked down at his fingers and smiled uncertainly. He had such long fingers, she thought. With such wide, honest nails. They made her feel like tucking her own hands in her pockets. But they also made her feel like smiling at him.
"Don't get me wrong," he said after a moment. "The last few ones have been quite good. The version of Psalm 47, for instance, I think you could publish--if you sent it to London."














"No!" she cried.
He seemed surprised. "Why not?"
Didn't he understand? She had grown spoiled, really, for no one had understood before him.
"It's just--for me only." That sounded selfish. "And you--I mean, and the people during services. But they don't know it's for them."












"Oh." said James carefully after a moment. He seemed to understand more than she had thought. "Right. Let me show you where you could put a third verse. I think you need a silent measure first, or the counting won't work..."
Maria followed him to the table and watched him trace his long fingers over her scratchy handwriting as he talked.













He was so earnest about her little flimsy songs! It made her smile to herself just thinking about it. Even though he didn't understand what they were to her, he still made her smile all the same.

6 comments:

Sydonie said...

Yup! New skins! (Thanks, Shana!)

Mao said...

Wow, there seems to be a little something 'more' going on here than meets the eye! I wonder how this will develop...

The new skins are a little shocking, but I'm sure I'll get used to seeing them as you update!

lothere said...

I'm glad you said it, mao--I was thinking it was just me. :-D First she notices his hands, and then their hands are accidentally-on-purpose touching, and then...??? Good job on the chemistry here, Sydonie, whether accidental or on purpose. ;-)

Sydonie said...

Accidental on their part, maybe, but I can't claim such innocence...;-)

Verity said...

Oh how cute... and how potentially scandalous. Still loving the pants =).

Unknown said...

Oh man, there is so much chemistry between these two! You can feel it in the air! Great update Sydonie!!! I just love your writing.